What Action to Take When Your Brand is Dying
You know the signs of a dying brand and it’s now clear—you’re in trouble. You understand what’s at stake and that it’s time to take action. But like so many others in your position, you aren’t sure what to do.
“Taking action” is such a general catch phrase that it could really mean anything. And sure you could begin researching your next move, read a million blog posts that will give you a million different pieces of advice, and go down the path of the brand rebuild on your own. However, going about it in that manner is risky. After all, if you were capable of keeping your brand alive on your own, would you even be in this position in the first place?
Might sound harsh, but it’s reality.
That said, your first course of action should be finding a branding specialist. By taking this bold step, you’ll have an outside consultant come in and:
- Analyze your brand
- Provide you with a diagnosis
- Produce a plan of action
- Carry out the branding rebuild
Finding a Branding Specialist That Really is a Specialist
Now, I’m not going to sit here and spend an entire post trying to convince you that you need a branding consultant. At this point, it should be pretty obvious to you. More importantly, what you need now are tips on how you can find a branding consultant who can really help you. A true specialist. The last thing you want at this stage of the game is to shell out a bunch of cash while your business is reeling, only to watch the ship keep sinking. So here are a few quick tips on what to look for:
- Look for someone who has produced results. The internet is full of supposed marketing geniuses. Guess how many of them really are geniuses? I’m going to go with like .5%. That means if you hire someone blindly, you’re probably going to throw your money away. By looking for someone who has documented results—someone who can produce data from past clients, as well as testimonials—you drastically increase the odds of getting back on track.
- Find a consultant who insists on educating you along the way. A branding consultant who will really help you won’t keep you in the dark. Part of the problem here, after all, is you. Or more specifically, something you aren’t doing properly. So find someone to educate you and turn you into a branding specialist along the way. It really is about forming a successful working relationship.
- Make sure they come to you with ways to produce hard numbers. One of the signs of a trustworthy consultant is one that comes in right away putting a focus on measuring R.O.I As he helps resurrect your brand, he will produce hard evidence of it along the way. Anything less will find you not knowing what you are paying for. Again, throwing your money away.
- Think long-term…and short-term. Sure, any successful investment strategy involves focusing on the long-term. But a successful branding strategy focuses on ALL-term. In other words, you want a plan for the short-term, mid-term, and long-term. You need someone who develops a robust strategy that deals with all aspects.
In review, once you realize it’s time to take action, the first action you need to take is to get help immediately. Just make sure you do your homework and find the right partner.
About The Author
Brian Waraksa, founder of Raxa Design in Houston, Texas has been in marketing and small business branding since 2002. He writes the Raxa Design blog on issues affecting small business marketing and corporate brands.
Posted on Sun, August 28, 2011
by Brian Waraksa filed under