There comes a time every few years when you need to completely redesign your website. Design trends are always evolving, and if you don’t change the look of your website, you risk looking outdated and irrelevant. That’s not to say that you constantly have to redesign your website every time something changes in the design industry, but a good rule of thumb is to consider a redesign every few years.
But redesigning your website does have its risks. If you aren’t careful, you could mess things up and create a poorer user experience or lower your conversion rate.
To ensure the job gets done right, make sure you consider these important things during your site redesign.
- The purpose of the redesign—Why are you redesigning your website? Is it because it looks outdated? Or is it just not very user-friendly? Figure out the exact reasons for your redesign and use that to guide everything you do moving forward. This ensures you’ll create a site that addresses the problems you’re facing.
- How much redesigning you’ll do—There are all different levels of redesign. You could just give your website a slight facelift, or you could hire a Houston graphic design company to completely redo the whole thing from the ground up.
- The site’s SEO strengths and weaknesses—Take a look at your website’s SEO performance. How’s it doing? If it’s performing well, be careful during the redesign. You don’t want to mess up what’s been working and cause your rankings to drop.
- Your target audience—Who’s going to be using your website? What type of design appeals to them? What other features do they look for in websites? Know your audience, and deliver a product that appeals to them.
- What’s been working and what hasn’t—Take an honest look at your website, and pull up any analytics/data you have. Identify the strengths and weakness of your website. Is it converting? Are certain pages causing visitors to bounce? Keep the things that are working and refine those that aren’t.
- The action you want visitors to take—What’s your ultimate goal for your website? What do you want visitors to do? Figure that out, and make sure you make that the focal point of your website. Don’t bury your call to action or the desired path you want visitors to take.
If you’re thinking about redesigning your website, make sure you let the experts do it for you. A good Houston web design company can carefully improve your website without losing the things that worked best about the old site. You may even decide you need a new logo with your update, so be sure to choose a company that offers Houston logo design as well.
Posted on Sat, November 6, 2010
by Brian Waraksa filed under