How to Keep Visitors on Your Website Longer
While a lot of site owners get obsessed with traffic, the truth is this metric doesn’t indicate how well a site is performing. If people bounce off your website just seconds after landing on it, what good is that traffic? You want to attract visitors that stay on your website for a good amount of time, because the longer they visit your site, the more they’ll remember you and the likelier it is that they’ll take the action you desire.
How can you keep people on your site longer? Here are some tips to help you out.
- Target the right keywords—It’s important that you work with a Houston web design company that has skills in SEO. Optimizing your site for the right keywords means you’ll attract higher quality traffic. And with higher quality traffic, you improve the chances of visitors sticking around on your website.
- Include a search box on your website—By adding a search box to your website, you give visitors an easy way to find the information they’re looking for. This keeps them digging around on your website. Just make sure your search box works properly…too many times, they don’t.
- Use clear navigation—Keep it simple. A well-organized website makes it easy for users to move forward toward the information they’re looking for. Keep your navigation consistent throughout the website, and use clear names for each category.
- Create a nice website design—This is where having a good Houston graphic design firm can help. Design is important because visitors will judge your site by how it looks. If you have a messy, harsh design, people will back out of your website rather quickly. But if you have a pleasing design that flows well and is easy on the eyes, you’ll find that visitors stick around longer.
- Offer a freebie—Everyone loves getting something for nothing. By offering something for free—like an eBook, whitepaper, tool, etc.—you give people a reason to take action, and you keep them on your website a little bit longer. Just make sure you collect email addresses in exchange for the giveaway.
- Focus on site loading time—Did you know the average visitor only stays on a new site for about 8 seconds before deciding to leave? If your website takes that long to load, they’ll never see what you have to say. Focus on building a quick, streamlined website that loads instantly when someone clicks on it.
- Start a blog—The more content people have to read through and interact with, the longer they’ll stay on your website. It’s just that simple. So, start up a blog, and post quality content on a regular basis.
These are just some of the top ways to keep people on your website longer. What are some other techniques you’d recommend?
Posted on Fri, September 17, 2010
by Brian Waraksa filed under